Oh. I didn’t see you there. My name is J. P. Savard - but you can call me Yuki - and welcome to my abode. This is a repository of silly things, poetry, rants, ideas and experiments I made on my free time, I hope you will like them, and that the information will be useful.
Well, time for another adventure, and with every adventure it begins with a very silly thought that isn’t even mine this time:
“I wonder if one can fit the entire bible on a TI-Nspire CX with mViewer GX PDF converter”, says our friend DJ
And there you go, am I searching for the answer:
me: trying to find out how big the Bible is in terms of computer storage because someone asked on Discord
Now this is a lot closer to the style I’m shooting for on Zarmina, which is now going to be a visual novel made in an actual visual novel engine, if you don’t know already. I love how it turned out: Minty Root suggested to make the lines thicker (that gives it a nice style), no shading (I think that adds to it), she now have a bow (although she isn’t gonna wear it until later in the story), the jewel is a bit more detailed (it’s a bitch to draw lol), her skirt is a bit shorter, boobs are a bit more, um, detailed (we’re shooting anime style after all!
Well, you probably all heard of esoteric programming languages before, but the question today is, programming languages used outside its intended use, would that be esoteric?
If I tell you back-end web languages, you’d immediately think PHP, Node.js, Ruby, C maybe, but what if I tell you… Commodore BASIC? Sure, just get a Commodore 64 with a TCP/IP stack and write a web server for it you’d say, but I mean, actually using it on an actual, everyday web server on some Linux box?
Been a while I wanted to make a webcomic, but I never got around at drawing one, and if I do I’m not that good at drawing, so…
I recently started messing up with a Windows 98 VM (for various reasons, including a future redesign of this website), I re-discovered Microsoft Comic Chat, I decided to import my Pony Town avatars in it, and the rest is history. It’s simple to make, it doesn’t take too much of my attention span and it looks good, so yeah, winning formula.
Welcome to the second installment of my code experiments! This time we’re gonna look into the weird effect used in the background of messages in Ecco the Dolphin for the Sega Genesis (or MegaDrive, if you’re asking someone outside the Americas). I got the idea from Twitter user @Foone who helpfully reverse engineered the game ROM (with Twitter user @Reaper_man02) to figure out how it works and wrote an implementation in Python.
It is quite simple using the noise function, one the simplest things you can do with it is color = noise(x, y, time) for each pixel on the canvas, usually you make it grayscale but this time I’m generating 3 of them for each color component (red, green, blue) with a different seed.
Yeah, I complain a lot about the fact I don’t write on my blog. I moved it again, this time on Ghost, after I found out I had free web hosting and it could run Node.js apps on it, so let’s try this. It was a bitch to install, though, as if Murphy’s law was playing against me. If it has a chance to fail, then it will fail. It took like 3 days, but I hope it’s worth it.
This article was originally published on Itch.io, reposting it here for completeness.
New trailer for the project, it’s not the complete game but I hope you’ll like it :) It’s been done with Ren’Py cause it’s gonna be the intro to the game and I wasn’t able to get a good video editing software working on my computer… You can see it straight on the game’s page or if it’s buggy there’s a YouTube video.